miércoles, 10 de agosto de 2016

Heroes V 5.5 first map: Beleriand, The Siege of Angband

Here I go again, pals!

A new scenario based on Tolkien's legendarium was born, concretely on The Silmarillion; exclusively designed for Magnomagus' stunning mod. Look, I've never got the guts to entirely fulfill a single Heroes V map... Why? Easy: I didn't really wanna learn physics in order to improve my meager 3D skills, besides I didn't take delight in playing Tribes of the East till our mod. 

I don't feel like to go into details, so let's summarize a bit: my funny vision on the wild continent of Beleriand is currently in beta version, hence it's up to you guys to check out the bugs out there. Good luck!  



Features:

Welcome to the savage continent of Beleriand! 

Seven players:

Player 1: Thingol & Melian. Grey Elves native of Beleriand.
Player 2: Fingolfin, the King of Noldor. High Elves from Valinor.
Player 3: Hidden Lord of Tumunzahar. One of the major Houses of the Dwarves.
Player 4. Maedhros & Caranthir. High Elves settled in the east.
Player 5. Eöl the Dark Elf and his dreary relatives.
Player 6. Ulfang the Black, sovereign of the Eastern Men.
Player 7. House of Finrod Felagund. 

Four teams:

1. Thingol & Melian plus The House of Finrod Felagund. 
2. Fingolfin, the King of Noldor plus Maedhros & Caranthir.
3. The Hidden Lord of Tumunzahar plus Eöl the Dark Elf.
4. Ulfang the Black.

This map pretends to be the first step into the unleashing of Angband's terrors all over the Middle Earth, so... who knows? Maybe the next summer you can count on managing Morgoth and the like. 

Let's face it: it's too harsh and hard to make a Heroes V map, thus I won't invest more time on it than necessary. 

Have fun!!

7 comentarios:

  1. *sigh*

    I noticed over on the Heroes community board you updated this to version 1.2, but the link HERE is still using the outdated 1.1.

    I unfortunately am playing your 1.1 and noticing LOTS of areas and structures that should be accessible but aren't.

    example: the fairie garden in the first surface area, and the crystal mine, are both inaccessible.

    I'm not too far into it, so I guess I can start over with 1.2 and hope these issues are fixed.

    otherwise, it's a very beautiful map with lots of excellent surface texture and artfully placed objects.

    I hope you keep polishing it!

    frankly, my system HATES both homm 6 and 7... they constantly crash on my system, even with the latest updates and all the "fixes" proposed by the community, so I only play HOMM 5 and 5.5 now, period.

    it's sad to see this is the one and only custom map anyone has released for 5.5.

    the world is depending on you!

    :)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. ..also:

    try running the new mapmixer utility on it to make the water areas more interesting?

    ResponderEliminar
  3. reporting back that the same problems exist in version 1.2.

    the crystal mine and fairy grove on the surface are not accessible.

    oddly, I checked the map in the editor, and it shows the entrances to those items as "accessible by AI" so I haven't even a clue how to fix it!

    ResponderEliminar
  4. ...turned out they needed to be moved one space further away from the trees. the editor will let you place objects too close to obstructions when on terrain that isn't level.

    I love the rugged terrain, but it makes object placement and pathing a bit more problematic.

    I managed to fix the mentioned items in the editor and they work now, but I have barely scratched the surface yet.

    as a suggestion, I would think moving any interactive objects one space further away from anything that obstructs access, and also using the "level terrain under object" function would probably get rid of any access problems.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Thanks for the love, mate! Apologize for the confusion regarding versions between Heroes forum and the blog, which is clearly out-of-date.

    Yeah, I am one of the few fanboys who stepped up and made a scenario based on HV 5.5. At this point I'm proud of the outcome but there're still some issues to look at. Passability ones, as you pointed out.

    I'll dig in this direction when I get the hours, for sure.

    Thanks!

    ResponderEliminar
  6. yup. pathing and access seem to be the only issues with the map that I can see. lots of areas where it looks like you should be able to go, but get stuck. Breaks in the trees in the starting surface area for player 1 that are guarded by usually level 5/6 stacks often are not passable even after defeating the guardians.

    I ended up just giving all my heroes instant travel, and forced myself to only use it when it looked like I was supposed to be able to get somewhere but couldn't.

    anywho, will muddle through until the end, but it's a HUGE map, so likely will take me a week to get through.

    cheers.

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Sure, I'll check them out but firsly I ask you to tell the exact location of these "locked areas", so I'll be able to fix them.

    ResponderEliminar